HWRCs - revised opening hours
The HWRC service costs around £10 million a year to run, so Hampshire County Council have been looking at different options that will enable them to continue delivering a high quality service while reducing overall costs.
In August 2014, HCC conducted a cost-saving public consultation. The six options listed below were chosen following a full assessment of the existing HWRC network, site user surveys, focus groups, testing of cost models and research into best practice from other authorities:
- Closing one or more sites that do not represent good value for money.
- Introducing measures to reduce the amount of trade waste wrongfully disposed of at sites
- Accepting waste from small local businesses for a fee.
- Charging for the disposal of DIY waste to help recover some of the cost of dealing with these waste types.
- Reviewing our site opening hours to negotiate lower management costs
- Working with charities or communities to increase reuse of furniture and other items
Option 5 has been implemented.