Chilbolton Village Hall
Booking secretary - Kate Ballard 01264 860524
All other enquiries - Tony Ewer (Chairman) 01264 860 486
Visit our website for more details
The Old Village Hall
In September 1890, the Rector, The Rev. Henry Pereira, launched an appeal to raise funds for a Reading Room and Club for the village, offering a portion of Glebe for a site. In two weeks this raised £200 by public subscription and a site was presented to the Parish by The Right Reverend Richard Durnford, Lord Bishop of Chichester.
The family had been resident in Chilbolton since The Reverend Richard, the village’s longest serving Rector, came to the village in 1803 and whose wife owned much land in the village.#
The Hall was designed by W.D. Caroe MA of New Bond Street, London - the tender of £310 by Charles Grace of Clatford was accepted, and the Foundation Stone was laid by The Very Reverend G.W. Kitchin DD, the Dean of Winchester, on 11th April 1891.
The hall was completed and opened on 15th September 1891.
From around 1933 the hall ceased to be used in its original form and was used as a Village Hall until it was closed in July 1999, when modern requirements indicated the need for a new hall.
The old site was sold to help raise funds to build the new hall and after nearly ten years of planning and negotiations, the new Village Hall in Eastman’s Field, off Drove Road, was officially opened on Friday, 24th September 1999, by Mrs. Mary Fagan, Lord Lieutenant of Hampshire.