The village of Chilbolton in Hampshire lies in theTest Valley situated between the A3057 Stockbridge - Andover road and the B3420 road from Winchester to Andover. It is about 15 miles north of Winchester and 5 miles south of Andover. The village offers a good range of community facilities including the village hall, a public house, village shop with post office, Church and playing fields.
Chilbolton is located within the upper valley of the River Test, and is framed by the Common and River Test to the northwest and rising farmland and Chilbolton Down to the south and east. In common with many historic settlements in the valley, the village is specifically located on the first river terrace on the southeastern valley side, above the floodplain of the River Test.
The population of Chilbolton is over 1,000. The economy of the settlement was formerly based on agriculture, but today the village is predominantly residential, with residents commuting to major centres such as Andover, Basingstoke, Winchester, Southampton and London with a growing number of people working from home
Chilbolton Common is a rare survivor as many historic commons in the valley have been lost due to the creation of catchwork water meadows3. Chilbolton Cow Common has been designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest due to its unimproved neutral grassland, marshy grassland, reed bed and some broad leaved woodland which supports a rich and rare environment for a large number of different flora.
Most of the historic buildings in the village date from the 17th and 18th centuries, with few earlier buildings surviving, with the exception of the Church, which dates back to the 12th century. In 1837, an area of land was given by the Manor ‘to the rectory of Chilbolton for ever for the purpose of a school’ and this was
built in 1844 on a plot to the northeast of the Church.
The 20th century saw a period of expansion in the village, more than doubling the size of the 19th century village. Most of the new building has taken place to the south of the historic core of the village. The late 20th century and early 21st century has seen further new development within the village, including new
houses in Paddock Field, along with scattered infill plots throughout the village